As a community of Christians at work within the world of technology we want to make time and space to explore how our faith shapes our work. It’s also important to explore how our technological skills can be used to serve our local and global church.
At the February 2020 ‘Think’ meetup in London we invited church history lecturer, Dr Tom Breimaier, to help us to explore how technology is on display in history of the church. We looked all the way back to Genesis One, onwards through the whole Bible, and into the history of the church to see how technology has been put to use as Christians have lived out their calling and shared their faith.
Watch the full talk here:
At the end of the talk, Tom left us with a couple of questions for us to keep on considering:
- How do we, as Christians, evaluate and potentially incorporate existing technologies into our practice?
- What steps do we take to ensure that these developments are an aid rather than a potential burden?
- Where do we draw the line between providing a genuine help to God’s people and simply doing something because we can?
- What areas are there in which there might be potential technological innovation that might improve the effectiveness of ministries throughout the world?
- How should we go about this task?